Any search for Vallejo’s favorite pizza will lead to Napoli’s Pizza at 124 Tennessee Street in Vallejo. That’s where you’re likely to be greeted by the owner himself, Tony, as he kneads his house-made dough and toppings in front of the large pizza oven. He makes the sauce and ravioli himself as well, but when you ask him about it he modestly replies “people don’t care how hard I work, they just care that it tastes good.”
Anthony “Tony” Guerrera, Jr.’s dad and uncle bought his parlor in 1968. Today, Tony owns this parlor while his brothers own locations in Benicia and Vacaville. Their cousins own three more stores around Sacramento. Tony says his favorite time is when the local workers cozy into the booths for their lunch break. He is happy to see people eating in the parlor again after being takeout-only for 13 months during the pandemic. As you can imagine, his carryout orders were greatest when the 49er’s were in the playoffs.
Bruce Johnston lives in Hiddenbrooke now but grew up near Napoli’s. He remembers the shipyard workers streaming into the parlor at lunchtime, and plugging coins into the Ms. Pacman video game. The game is still there and so is the great food that Bruce remembers.
But don’t just take our word for it. Come join Tony as he prepares a “family meal” just for Hiddenbrooke residents on Wednesday, March 22 from 4-6 pm during a break between his lunch and dinner crowds. When you arrive, there will be salad with fresh-baked focaccia while Tony prepares and serves slices from four of his favorite specialty pizzas along with two styles of his house-made beef ravioli. The $30 per person fixed price (plus tax) includes a fountain drink. Wine and beer will be available for an extra charge. No reservation necessary, but the parlor only holds 30 people so this offer will be limited.
Bruce Pollard is offering to shuttle Hiddenbrooke residents who need a ride that day. Learn more about his BAP car service at www.neighborexchange.org/bap/ and contact Bruce for pricing at 650-504-9032. If you can’t make it on March 22, then by all means get there another day on your own, but you’ll have to order off the menu like everyone else. Still, Tony will treat you like family.
To learn more about Napoli Pizzeria and Italian Food in Vallejo, check out www.napolipizzavallejo.com/
UPDATE, March 16, 2023: Tony is pulling out ALL the stops to welcome our neighborhood to his pizza parlor! He just shared that our special unpublished “Hiddenbrooke family meal” menu on March 22 will include:
– Focaccia bread and salad
– Two plates of Beef Ravioli: one with alfredo sauce and the other with meat sauce.
– Four Pizzas:
– Margherita: International Classic-Vallejo Style! This pizza consists of olive oil,
fresh grated mozzarella, basil, tomato, garlic, and parmigiano.
– Original: The first signature combination pizza that Tony created. Our most popular behind the pepperoni and a classic! Pizza sauce, fresh grated mozzarella, mushrooms, salami, pepperoni, sausage, and olives.
– Pepperoni: Simply the most popular pizza on the planet. Our pizza sauce plus fresh grated mozzarella, and lots of pepperoni.
– Fresco Verde: Beautiful green goddess of a pizza! Pesto sauce, fresh grated mozzarella cheese, artichoke, garlic, spinach, and zucchini.
– All this includes soda/tea/coffee for $30 per +tax. Beer or wine extra.
UPDATE, March 22, 2023: Thanks to all those who joined us tonight and to the Napoli Pizza staff who made our Hiddenbrooke neighbors feel so welcome.